STRYCHNOS NUX VOMICA
STRYCHNOS NUX VOMICA
Pirandai Salt For Weight Loss
Seenthil Sugar (Giloy Satva) For Diabetes
Bamboo Rice For Bone Strength and Weight Loss
Bael Fruit To Cool Body and Insomnia
Nux vomica Information, Uses and WarningNux-vomica is also known as Vishtinduka (Visha means poison), Vishamushthi, and Poison-nut due to its poisonous properties. It is a powerful poison in large doses, producing convulsions and even death. In Ayurveda, this tree is included in Upvisha Varg (sub poisonous group).
The seeds of Kuchala are used in Ayurveda only after proper shodhan or purification. The detoxified seeds of Kuchla are used in treatment of neuralgia, facial palsy, hemiplegia, arthritis, gout, muscle pain, nerve pain etc. in low recommended dosage only. The seeds are nervine tonic and digestive.
Nux-vomica gives relief in excessive vata and pain. It strengthens and stimulates nerves. It is a good appetizer, digestive and cures indigestion.
- Ayurvedic: Kapilu, Kakatinduka, Kakendu, Kakapiluka, Vishamushtikaa, Vishamushti, Vishatinduka, Kuchila, Ksuchala
- Unani: Azaraaqi, Kuchla.
- Siddha: Yettikkottai
- Assamese: Ajraki, Habbul gurab, Kucila
- Bengali: Kuchila
- English: Poison-nut tree, Nux vomica, Strychnine tree, Snake-wood
- Gujrati: Konchala, Jher Kochla, Kuchla, Zer Kochalu
- Hindi: Kuchala, Kuchila, Bish tendu, Bailewa, Chibbige, Chilbinge, Kajra
- Kannada: Kanjihemushti, Manjira, Hemmushti, Ittongi, Kasarkayi
- Malayalam: Kajjl, Kanniram
- Marathi: Kajra, Kuchla
- Punjabi: Kuchla
- Tamil: Yettimaram, Kakotee, Ettikottai, Ettikkai
- Telugu: Mushti, Mushini
- Urdu: Azaraqi, Kuchla
- Arabic: Izaragi, Khanek-ul-kella
- Persian: Fulusmahi, Izaraki
AYURVEDIC PROPERTIESKuchla is used in treatment of Vata diseases. It is nervine tonic and central nervous system CNS stimulant. It reduces kapha. In Ayurveda, the seeds of tree are used only after proper detoxification. It is a powerful poison.
In Ayurveda, the following properties and action of Nux-vomica are described.
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Tikshna (Sharp), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya: Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Action: Shoth-har, Vedanasthapana, Uttejaka, Nadibalya, Deepana, Pachan, Grahi, Hriday-uttejak, Kaphaghna, Kasa-har, Vajikaran, Balya, Kushthaghna, Kandughna, Jantunashana, Vranshodhana.
- Abortifacient: abortion causing.
- Antiperiodic: preventing periodic returns of disease.
- Convulsant: producing sudden and involuntary muscle contractions.
- CNS stimulant: speed up physical and mental processes.
- Emmenagogue: stimulates or increases menstrual flow.
- Sedatives, anodynes, tonic
- Stomachic: promoting the appetite or assisting digestion.
- Nervine tonic: acts therapeutically upon the nerves, particularly in the sense of a sedative that serves to calm ruffled nerves.
- Respiratory stimulant: increase in respiratory rate and tidal volume
- Nux vomica is also used as rat poison due to presence of alkaloids strychnine and brucine.
Medicinal Uses of Nux vomicaThe root bark is bitter, tonic, febrifuge. It is useful in cholera, snakebite and intermittent fever.
The leaves are applied as poultice in the treatment of chronic wounds and ulcers. The seeds are bitter, nervine, tonic, alexiteric, aphrodisiac, appetiser, antiperiodic, anthelmintic, emetic, digestive, febrifuge, emmenagogue, purgative, stimulant and stomachic. They are useful in anemia, asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, diabetes, colic, intermittent and malarial fevers, insomnia, skin diseases, nervous debility, dyspepsia, diarrhea, dysentery, hysteria, mental emotions, epilepsy, chronic constipation, gout, chronic rheumatism, hydrophobia, spermatorrhoea, opium or lead poisoning, paralysis and weakness of limbs.
- Nux vomica is UNSAFE.
- The seed contains the toxic alkaloid strychnine.
- Strychnine is also found in roots, wood, bark, fruit pulp and hard fruit shells.
- The strychnine can cause liver damage.
- Due to presence of alkaloids and chemicals, Nux vomica seeds affects the brain and cause muscle contractions. This can lead to convulsions and death.
- Small amount of Strychnine can be stored in body with continued use, especially in people with liver disease. This can cause death in a period of weeks.
- It increases menstrual flow and causes abortion.
- Lethal dose of seeds is 1-2 grams of seeds.